Monday, April 1, 2013

Not so little dance scene...

I am so excited to see first hand how much this little dance world in Atlanta is growing. I have only lived here less than a year, and I have already see so much change and growth. Over the past few weeks I have seen some amazing performance and performed myself! I went to the Atlanta Ballet's New Choreographic Voices, which was incredible. I love seeing technically trained ballet dancers performing contemporary work, it brings a whole new feeling and interpretation to contemporary dance. That same weekend I also saw Staibdance perform Versus at Emory; another amazing show! Staib had a TON of dancers, and I am friends with the majority of them (no matter where you are, the dance world is small and connected :). It is always incredible to watch your friends on stage. Some of these folks have grown and matured so much since I last saw them perform so that was really neat to watch.

Last Friday night I went to my friend Erik's show, Better. He performed in his amazing rehearsal space at North Druid Hills Baptist Church, right around the corner from my apartment. This guy know how to entertain, and is such a beautiful mover! I love that he put together this solo show - everything from costume, lights, staging, professional flyers - on his own with a just little help from his friends. And I love how receptive and supportive the whole dance and art community was, coming out to this show. Makes me remember how much I love this dance world in Atlanta.

Saturday night was our Skwhirlhaus Hauswarming! After rescheduling from the previous weekend due to rain, we went on with the event even though the forecast seemed a bit looming. I am amazed how many people came out to watch and donate and enjoy treats even in the rain! And the dancers who were showing excerpts from their work were all good sports and danced in the rain! It was really beautiful and a great way to kick off the first season of Skwhirlhaus. I performed a short improvisation early in the evening, and a few of the other Skwhirl members also showed portions of new and old work. The rest of the night I had so much fun photographing the event and mingling with other dancers and dance lovers while snacking on too much sugar! I am so looking forward to the rest of the season, starting with our April show which I am performing in with T. Lang Dance!


Meg Gibbs - solo
Crossover Movement Arts 
Skwhirl Snacks table :)
Tara Hemmer - solo
MaryGrace Phillips - solo


I just love watching and being a part of this dance world as it blossoms and is embraced by the community!

No comments:

Post a Comment